Sunday, August 16, 2015

From 20 miles to 56

               I have always been wicked competitive.  I may not have been the best competitor, but nonetheless extremely competitive and not much has changed today.  When I bought my bike I knew that I planned to push my self to limits I have never gone to before, I just didn't know where, or how.  Shortly after I bought the bike I had looked into all sorts of things..... organized trail rides, road rides, paths....you name it, I looked into it. It all looked fun, and like something I would try to do.  Years ago a friend of mine road in the Pan-Mass challenge and I followed along with his progress, so I decided to message him and learn more about it.  When I realized what it was, what it was about and who it helped I was in.  I was riding in this!!  192 miles seemed do'able....maybe?



               So I went onto the website and looked into the details on how to sign up and what I could potentially do.  The only thing available was a couple 20ish mile rides, a 40ish and then an 80 mile ride.  Since I was so convinced that 192 miles was do'able, naturally my next step would be to go with the 80 miles! So I started training.....and by training I mean chip shot 10-12 mile bike rides with my daughter in her cart.  In hindsight, I really should have planned out a more organized training schedule and built up to 80 plus miles.



            With limited funds, I chipped away at adding parts that were necessary in taking a mountain bike..... on an 80 plus mile road ride. First things first....road tires. It seemed only logical to put road tires on a bike for a road ride.  Next came shoes, peddles and padded shorts. I went on my biggest ride to date about 3 weeks prior to the ride it self....18.8 miles. Woh! Eye opening to say the least. However, I felt good, and confident!


            The PMC came August 2nd and I made my way down to the Cape the night before.  I was only riding in the 1 day ride from Bourne to Wellesley so my wife and I packed up our stuff and shipped off to Bourne the night before! There was absolutely no place to rent as far as hotels go and only riders could stay on campus of Mass Maritime, so we found a nice little dirt parking lot, put the seats down in the SUV and camped there for the night!



             All in all, it went well. I raised way more funds than I had to, and the day was beautiful.  I made it 26 miles to the first watering stop and felt great! A little sore already, but eh....what can ya do? I stretched out, ate some lunch and peddled on!  The next stop was Foxboro....30 miles away. As I took the first few spins of the peddles I began thanking all that was holy that I could only sign up for the 80 miles.  I was in no way, shape or form ready for anything longer! Lesson learned!



             Half way through Easton I ran out of water....and began to cramp up in my left leg.  From past experience, I knew that if I got off the bike and walked out the cramp I would completely seize up so to speak, so I peddled on with my right leg, while I tried to massage out the left leg.  I ate, I drank the last of my water and miraculously my cramps went away.... but....I was now out of water.  Apparently a deadly combination with distance rides.  With less than 5 miles to go to Foxboro both legs now were beginning to cramp up severely.  As I peddled into the stadium parking lot with no water and immense pain, I rejoiced when I saw the tent of food and water ready for me!  My wife was waiting anxiously at each of the watering stops too which was a huge motivator!  Getting off the bike and speaking with my wife and the staff at the ride seemed perfectly normal until they looked at me like I was speaking another language.  Apparently the heat got to me so much that I was making absolutely no sense to them, but in my head it made perfect sense so it only frustrated me and angered me more that they couldn't understand anything I was saying! The speech issues aside, they were now telling me that I probably shouldn't go on to finish the 80 miles.  That didn't go over well. I walked off the pain quickly, ate some food, watered my self and tried to say I was going to ride on....but it still made no sense.  So, sensibility took over and I figured that what everyone was telling me was right.  It a ride, not a race.  Its for charity and fun and I have accomplished both my charitable goal and I have had an amazing time riding! Add to it the health risks that could be sitting on the line with riding on, I kindly bowed out.   I completed 56 total miles and over 2200 dollars raised! For my first ride, it was also my longest ride.  It was by far one of the more incredible experiences of my life!


       Two days after the ride, I was back on the bike and peddling around with my wife and daughter just down the road from us! I was hooked! I cant wait for my next ride, and I am planning on beating my distance next year in the PMC as well as my fundraising totals! See you next year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment